Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Stratford Town's goal drought continues as Redditch United run out comfortable 3-0 winners

SIX hours and 45 minutes – that's how long Stratford Town have gone without scoring a goal in the Southern Premier Central after they slumped to a 3-0 defeat at ten-man Redditch United on Saturday, reports Kevin Hand.

Stratford Town's Jack Storer is given his marching orders for picking up two yellow cards. Photo: Steve Wood & Paul Grant / STFC
Stratford Town's Jack Storer is given his marching orders for picking up two yellow cards. Photo: Steve Wood & Paul Grant / STFC

With just one shot in target in a dreary first 45 minutes, the Bards – who finished with ten men after Jack Storer was sent off for two yellow cards – failed altogether in the second half to test the Redditch defence.

You have to go back to the 1-1 draw at Leiston on 14th December for the last time Tim Flowers' men scored a goal and the defeat at the Trico means Stratford are now just four points above the drop zone.

With Joe Magunda, Dan Vann and Kynan Isaac unavailable, Jack Turner returned to the starting line-up together with Solihull Moors loanee Melis Bushaj and much-travelled Leroy Lita.

For Redditch, former Stratford players Boucher and Dan Sweeney featured.

There was a bright opening by Stratford with both Will Dawes and Storer threatening leading to two corners.

After ten minutes Sammons was fouled some 25 yards out and in a central position. The Redditch wall blocked Will Grocott’s first effort and the Bards captain saw his follow up shot safely gathered by Boucher at the second attempt.

As the half progressed the Reds had the upper hand with Aram Soleman impressing in midfield. Sweeney shot narrowly wide for Redditch after 17 minutes while the only matter of note for Stratford was Storer’s yellow three minutes later.

Redditch's Jamie Ashmore also received a yellow five minutes later.

The opening goal after 39 minutes for the Reds was not a thing of beauty. Soleman showed great desire and determination as he drove through the Bards’ defence on the right to force his shot home from close range.

The second half opened with a dangerous Grocott cross coming to nothing and then there was a return to Reds’ domination.

Stratford’s best moments came from Storer with a shot just wide, Dan Lafferty with a wild shot over and Lita robbed when in a good position.

The game was up on 69 minutes when a Ryan Wollacott header direct from a corner doubled the advantage for Redditch.

Sweeney gift-wrapped the afternoon for the Reds in the 90th minute with the home fans unsurprisingly in good voice.

A late side-show saw the tetchy Ashmore depart the field following dissent which earned a second yellow after 78 minutes and the brooding Storer ploughed a similar route eight minutes later following a foul too many.

Next up for Stratford is a home clash against Tamworth on Saturday (3pm kick-off).

REDDITCH: Boucher, Ashmore, Hudson (T.Rowe 90), Soleman, Flanagan, Wollacott, L.Rowe, Williams, Sweeney, Boothe, Digie (Dawes 82). Unused subs: Roke, Cox, Jallow.

STRATFORD: Mahoney, Wilson, Bushaj, Fry (Lafferty 60), Turner, Williams, Dawes (Taylor 71), Storer, Lita (Agemoh-Davies 87), Grocott, Sammons. Unused subs: O’Brien, Wakefield.


This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More