Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Three teens admit manslaughter after Warwickshire park attack





THREE teenagers have admitted the manslaughter of a 36-year-old Warwickshire man who was pronounced dead at his home after being attacked in a park the day before.

A 16-year-old girl and two 15-year-old boys, who cannot be named because of their age, were told a custodial sentence is inevitable for their parts in the death of John Hackett in Nuneaton in April last year.

The defendants pleaded guilty to manslaughter but denied murder at Warwick Crown Court on Monday (8th January).

Mr Hackett was attacked by the teenagers, who were arrested by Warwickshire Police shortly afterwards, in Snow Hill Recreation Ground.

Det Chf Insp Collette O’Keefe said: “This vicious, appalling attack left John’s family and friends heartbroken, and the wider community shocked.

“Our thoughts remain with those closest to John at this incredibly difficult time.”

The teenagers are due to be sentenced on 15th March after the CPS said it would not pursue the more serious murder charge.

Judge Andrew Lockhart KC told the defendants: “What that means is this – you three, having pleaded guilty, will not be tried for murder. But in due course you will be sentenced for the offence of manslaughter, which is unlawful killing.”

The judge added: “This is plainly, as you will understand, a really important matter – not just for you but for the public as a whole.

“In granting you bail I am giving you absolutely no indication other than you will all go to custody for this. You must prepare for that, as must your families.”

Mr Hackett was pronounced dead on 26th April after emergency services were called to an address on Camp Hill Road, Nuneaton, at around 8am.

Officers said they believed the death was connected to an “altercation” which took place the previous day at about 6.15pm.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More