MP still refuses to answer constituents’ questions over controversial dinner
NADHIM Zahawi has again refused to comment about his attendance at the controversial Presidents Club dinner, after being questioned by a Herald reporter today.
Stratford MP Mr Zahawi held his constituency surgery in the Other Place theatre this afternoon (Friday), but, when asked to answer questions posed by many of his constituents about the event, two weeks ago, he kept referring to his ‘previous statement.’
The MP said he also had not yet read an open letter composed by students at Stratford Girls Grammar School urging him to apologise and answer their questions about his attendance at the event.
Mr Zahawi also refused to confirm whether he had attended the Presidents Club Dinner previously, simply saying he had nothing further to add to his previous statements on the matter.
No statement has ever been made.
He went on to clarify that the statement he was referring to were the two short responses he posted to tweets last week in which he condemned the behaviour reported to have taken place at the event and said he would not attend any future men-only functions.
Following the scandal that has erupted in the wake of the Presidents Club gala, at which young women were said to have been groped and propositioned, the Herald has made repeated attempts to speak to Mr Zahawi.
The full letter composed by the students and now signed by around 300 young people, many from Stratford District, was sent to Mr Zahawi at the beginning of the week by the Herald.
A spokesperson for South Warwickshire Conservative Association confirmed tonight the letter had been passed on to the MP’s ministerial office.
To read the students’ open letter to Nadhim Zahawi in full - and for the full story - pick up this week’s Herald.