Firefighters tackle field and hay blazes as temperatures soar
FIREFIGHTERS have tackled a blaze in a corn field and put out ten tonnes of hay which was on fire as temperatures continue to soar.
The weather is believed to have sparked the fire in the field on Dunnington Road in Salford Priors shortly after midday on Saturday, and the trailer of straw as it was being transported along Croft Lane in Temple Grafton at around 1pm.
Temperatures peaked at 28 degrees in Stratford-on-Avon district today.
A Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "We received two 999 calls at 12.32pm on Saturday, 7th July, reporting a corn field on fire on Dunnington Road in Salford Priors.
"One fire engine from Alcester plus one fire engine and a 4×4 vehicle from Bidford-on-Avon were mobilised.
"The incident involved an area of 60 by 60 metres of standing crop well alight. Firefighters used beaters, hose reels and water backpack sprayers to extinguish the fire. Crews had all returned to station by 2pm."
The spokesman added: "We received a 999 call at 1.01pm, also on Saturday, reporting a trailer carrying straw on fire on Croft Lane Temple Grafton.
"Two fire engines, one from Stratford-upon-Avon and one from Henley,-in-Arden were mobilised.
"The incident involves approximately ten tonnes of hay well alight on a trailer. The burning hay is falling off the trailer and into the road. Crews are using hose reels to contain the fire."