Warwickshire residents urged to get their chimney swept

0
2306

Warwickshire Fire Service is urging residents to get their chimney swept following a chimney fire in Wootton Wawen yesterday.

The fire occurred at 8am yesterday morning on Mayswood Road in Wootton Wawen with a fire engine from Stratford dispatched to the scene.

Fire crews discovered that the fire had started in a log burning stove and although it had been recently swept, a considerable amount of salt and tar was removed from the chimney.

Crews were at the premises for around 45 minutes putting out the fire using water and chimney rods.

Station commander, Andrew Goodman, said: “On this occasion, the fire was contained to the chimney and we were able to deal with it using chimney rods. However, had the chimney not been recently swept, we could have been looking at a very different story.

“With the colder weather now settling in, I would urge all residents to have their chimneys swept before lighting up a fire for the winter months. A blocked or defective chimney can cause both chimney fires and carbon monoxide poisoning, so it’s very important to employ a professional qualified Chimney Sweep.”

For more information on chimney fire safety log onto https://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/chimneyfiresafety