Problems mount as Warwickshire are thrashed by Surrey

Jonathan Trott lasted just 33 minutes before edging an excellent ball from Stuart Meaker to wicketkeeper Steven Davies. Photo: Phil Britt

SURREY took a giant step away from relegation trouble and gave Warwickshire a giant shunt towards it by completing a 226-run victory in Division One of the Specsavers County Championship at Edgbaston.

Chasing a notional victory target of 396, which would have been their fifth-highest fourth-innings total ever, Warwickshire were bowled out for 169 after tea as Surrey took emphatic revenge for their heavy defeat in the reverse fixture at Guildford last month.

The home batting was pared away in the sunshine by a remoreseless collective effort from Surrey’s attack, six of whom took wickets.

Warwickshire resumed on the final morning on two for one and had few alarms in the first 40 minutes but then quickly lost both overnight batsmen.

Nightwatchman Chris Wright backed up too far and was run out at the non-striker’s end by Gareth Batty’s throw from mid-on. Varun Chopra edged Mark Footitt’s sixth ball of the innings to wicketkeeper Steven Davies.

That brought together big guns Ian Bell and Jonathan Trott but the latter lasted just 33 minutes before edging an excellent ball from Stuart Meaker to wicketkeeper Steven Davies.

At lunch Warwickshire were 72 for four with Bell on 14 and Laurie Evans showing he was up for a battle, having made just four in 47 balls up to the interval.

Surrey’s tandem spin attack of Batty and Zafar Ansari bowled skilfully to keep the scoring rate around one run per over after lunch and Evans soon fell when he played back to a turning delivery from Ansari and had his off-stump knocked out.

Bell gritted his way to 32 (104 balls, four fours) and added 34 in 19 overs with Tim Ambrose but then bat-padded Batty to Rory Burns at short leg.

Ambrose (was was to end on 27 not out from 135 balls) and Rikki Clarke dug in for 31 in 14 overs and were on the brink of taking their side through to tea when, in the final over of the session, Clarke was bowled offering no shot to Sam Curran.

That left Warwickshire 142 for seven which quickly became 147 for eight when Keith Barker edged Meaker to the wicketkeeper.

Jeetan Patel struck 16 from 20 balls before slashing Footitt high to Burns at third slip.

When Olly Hannon-Dalby bat-padded Batty to silly-point it was all over and Surrey’s players dissolved into paroxysms of joy. For Warwickshire, problems mount.