Accidental gas leak in Meon Vale now fixed

2
274
The area where the leak is reported to have occurred. (Picture provided by devilliers photography)

A gas leak which triggered a warning for residents in Meon Vale to remain indoors has now been fixed.

Residents in the area had reportedly been told to stay inside after workmen from Persimmon Homes triggered a gas leak by accidentally damaging a pipe.

A spokesman for Persimmon Homes South Midlands said: “Unfortunately, in excavating to connect a gas service, a machine made contact with a low pressure gas main.

“The machine caught the top of the main which caused a small gas escape.

“As is normal practice we immediately contacted Cadent, who are currently on site to make safe.

“We apologise to local residents for any inconvenience.”

Cadent have confirmed that a temporary repair had now been completed.

A spokesperson for the company said: “A spokesman for gas emergency service Cadent said: “We were called out to Meon Vale earlier today after a gas pipe was damaged by a third party, affecting supply to one property. We have completed a temporary repair and hope to have gas supply restored to that property later today.”

Dominic Skinner, who lives close to where the leak occurred, said: “We’re staying inside at the moment and you can still smell gas in the air when you go outside. It’s terrible really, we’ve got gas escaping and there are homes here without proper fire barriers.”

  • Brendan De Villiers

    Cadent are stating that a temporary fix is in place and residents supply, that are affected, will have service restored soon. Cadent have also stated that they will have to return to ensure that no further damage has been caused, by testing for further leaks.

  • Big Jim and The Twins

    An ‘accidental gas leak’.
    Phew. Lucky for everyone it wasn’t one of those intentional gas leaks.