Marmite the dog ends up in surgery after eating kebab and skewers

0
441
Marmite bit off more than he could chew when he wolfed down a couple of kebabs plus skewers. Submitted photo.

MARMITE the mischievous cocker spaniel bit off more than he could chew when he wolfed down a couple of late-night kebabs.

Unfortunately for the much-loved 11-year-old pet, he also swallowed the wooden skewers and was soon in agony as they stuck in his throat and stomach.

Worried owner Sharon Brown rushed him to Avonvale Veterinary Centre’s 24-hour emergency hospital in Warwick, where he underwent an immediate three-hour operation.

Thanks to the swift intervention of veterinary surgeon Elly McPhee, Marmite was quickly back on his feet and on his way home.

Sharon, from Moreton Morrell, recalled the drama saying: “I went into the kitchen at around 11pm and saw Marmite swallowing something down as quickly as possible.

“I noticed the bin was open and I knew straight away he’d helped himself to the leftovers of our kebab takeaway.

“Within five or ten minutes he was clearly in trouble. He was gagging, trying to stretch out from tip to toe and was wobbly and falling over.

“I took him straight to Avonvale and they acted so quickly; within 15 minutes of arrival they were anaesthetising him and getting ready to operate.”

Avonvale veterinary surgeon Elly McPhee led surgery and said: “The first thing we did was put a video camera down Marmite’s oesophagus and halfway down we found a chicken kebab complete with a long, wooden skewer.

“There was even chicken and peppers still attached to it so he had obviously swallowed it whole.

“It was lodged hard and we were unable to retrieve it, which is why Marmite needed an emergency operation. The longer the kebab was in there, the more risk there was of the skewer rupturing something or causing infection.

“The only possible way of removing the kebab was by going into the stomach and pulling it down, through and finally out.

“However, as soon I’d gone into the stomach I realised there was a second kebab and skewer lodged in there too, so we ended up removing both.”

Mrs Brown added: “Elly and the Avonvale team were brilliant, they were all heroes on the night.

“When I went in to see Marmite after the operation they showed me the two kebabs that they had removed.

“It was amazing. I’d obviously caught him in the act and he’d just gobbled them down as quickly as possible without even chewing them.”

Vet Elly McPhee from Avonvale Veterinary Centres who performed emergency surgery on Marmite the cocker spaniel after he’d swallowed two kebabs including wooden skewers. Submitted photo.