Warwick School celebrate as they reach another Twickenham final

Warwick School celebrate their semi-final success over Whitgift School at Allianz Park on Tuesday.

WARWICK School are celebrating after sealing another Schools’ Cup final appearance at Twickenham.

The school’s under-18 team sealed their place at rugby’s HQ with an outstanding 15-10 victory over Whitgift School in the semi-finals at Allianz Park, the home of Saracens, on Tuesday.

This is the second final in succession for Warwick as they follow the footsteps of last year’s team, who went on to claim the national title.

Warwick were disappointed not to lead at half-time with three clear opportunities from five metres out, while captain Tom Fawcett was unfairly judged to have knocked the ball over the line.

As the second half unfolded it become a tense match, with Whitgift starting the stronger, with a penalty and a try shortly after half-time.

Warwick responded positively to the setback, with patience and control from the team helping create a penalty from in front of the posts. Fred Lowe calmly converted to make it 10-3.

With 20 minutes left, the game started to change, as Warwick pressed for a try.

Zach Shirley managed to get himself on the scoresheet after some excellent forward play, with an unconverted try, to put the game within a score.

Warwick managed to keep their composure throughout and a gap eventually appeared for inside-centre Kieran Curran to break through the Whitgift defence to score beside the posts, with the try being converted by under-16 player Fin Smith.

Warwick were ahead in the game for the first time and now it was whether the team could remain composed and react well under the pressure of having to retain ball and play the clock down.

Whitgift pressed hard in the final moments with a five-metre line-out that was given as not straight.

Time was up and it was a historic moment for the team and the school.

This is the second final in succession and they follow the footsteps of last year’s team, who won the national title.

The final will be played at Twickenham on Wednesday, 14th March, against QEGS Wakefield at 3.40pm.

Meanwhile, Warwick’s under-15 team were left heartbroken after a cruel semi-final defeat to Manchester Grammar School.

Warwick held a commanding 21-3 lead before Manchester came storming back to edge a thrilling contest 22-21.