Warwickshire Fire and Rescue respond to two chimney fires on same day

0
867
Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service

FIREFIGHTERS with Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service responded to two chimney fires on Tuesday at local residences. No one was injured in either fire.

The fire service was first called to a chimney fire at a home on Burton Farm Road in Bishopton shortly after 12 a.m. One appliance from Stratford attended, the fire was located between the ground and first floor chimney and extinguished. The crew was available for redeployment shortly after 1 a.m.

Later the same day the fire service responded to a second chimney fire at a home on Lower End in Avon Dassett following a 999 call from the home’s occupant around 3pm. Firefighters used chimney rods and a stirrup pump to pump water up the chimney breast and extinguish the fire. A thermal image camera was also being used to check for any undetected fire spread. The fire was contained, and the crew was available for redeployment shortly after 5pm.

For information on chimney fire safety visit https://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/chimneyfiresafety.

Community Fire Prevention and Arson Manager, Moreno Francioso said: “With the cold weather we have been experiencing recently, I would urge all residents to have their chimneys swept before lighting a fire. A blocked or defective chimney can cause both chimney fires and carbon monoxide poisoning, so it’s very important to employ a professional qualified Chimney Sweep.”