Four years ago Ellis Holtom, of Stratford-upon-Avon, was born with half a working heart. Later, the Herald featured his condition as a tribute to the work of Birmingham Children’s Hospital where he was treated. Now, to mark Congenital Heart Defect Week his mum, Vicki, updates his story. . .
ALL 326 local planning authorities in England, councils like Stratford-on-Avon District, need a local plan. The core strategy is a component of that local plan. It contains all the local district wide policies that need to be considered when processing planning applications. New development needs to satisfy local needs, helping to realise the hopes and ambitions of its communities and protect them from situations they fear. New homes and places to work should provide then with a healthy lifestyle, a pleasant place to live, good recreational facilities and above all the infrastructure that enhances their quality of life. The buzzword to describe this is ‘sustainable’.
THE poor are paying more than they should be for their energy, according to damning new evidence from Stratford-upon-Avon’s Citizens Advice Bureau. Prepayment meters (PPMs) are costing users in fuel poverty a “disproportionate amount” for what little gas and electricity they can afford, the bureau has found. There are around 7.2 million people on prepayment meters in the UK and several thousand in the district of Stratford. Despite Stratford’s reputation as an affluent area, the bureau is being forced to come to the aid of more and more people living in fuel poverty on an increasingly regular basis.
AN OFFICIAL paving stone commemorating Stratford-upon-Avon’s forgotten war hero for the 100th anniversary of the First World War will be placed in the town, the government has confirmed. Rex Warneford – the first man to single-handedly shoot down a zeppelin - was ignored in the government’s initial plans to recognise Victoria Cross winners because he was born abroad in India. The Herald launched a campaign, together with King Edward VI school, where Rex lived and studied for five years, to get the fighter pilot recognised.
The Royal Shakespeare Company have reaffirmed their position "respecting people's right to protest peacefully" on their stages after another protest against BP's sponsorship of the World Shakespeare Festival took place last night.
BP have also told the Herald today: "We have no objection to peaceful protests to what the RSC are putting on."
This response came after Jess Worth, one of the campaigners of the Reclaim Shakespeare Company who have put on the protests this week, was asked if they were planning any more protests against the oil company's sponsorship. She said: "Yes, but I am obviously not going to say when."
A spokesman for the RSC said: “A further peaceful protest by two people about BP's sponsorship of the World Shakespeare Festival took place on stage in Stratford-upon-Avon yesterday evening before the press performance of Twelfth Night.”
It was the second time in three days the stage of the Royal Shakespeare Theatre had been invaded. The protesters asked audience members to rip out the BP logo from their programmes.
Reaffirming his position made earlier on in the week, RSC Artistic Director Michael Boyd said: “We respect people's right to protest peacefully.
“However, where there is any threat to the safety of RSC staff, actors, audiences or, indeed, protesters, we will take appropriate action.
“We have an incident management plan in place, drawn up with the help of the police. It is regularly reviewed and covers events of this sort.”
Protesters from the Reclaim Shakespeare Company invade the stage on Wednesday night