Four years ago Ellis Holtom, of Stratford-upon-Avon, was born with half a working heart. Later, the Herald featured his condition as a tribute to the work of Birmingham Children’s Hospital where he was treated. Now, to mark Congenital Heart Defect Week his mum, Vicki, updates his story. . .
ALL 326 local planning authorities in England, councils like Stratford-on-Avon District, need a local plan. The core strategy is a component of that local plan. It contains all the local district wide policies that need to be considered when processing planning applications. New development needs to satisfy local needs, helping to realise the hopes and ambitions of its communities and protect them from situations they fear. New homes and places to work should provide then with a healthy lifestyle, a pleasant place to live, good recreational facilities and above all the infrastructure that enhances their quality of life. The buzzword to describe this is ‘sustainable’.
THE poor are paying more than they should be for their energy, according to damning new evidence from Stratford-upon-Avon’s Citizens Advice Bureau. Prepayment meters (PPMs) are costing users in fuel poverty a “disproportionate amount” for what little gas and electricity they can afford, the bureau has found. There are around 7.2 million people on prepayment meters in the UK and several thousand in the district of Stratford. Despite Stratford’s reputation as an affluent area, the bureau is being forced to come to the aid of more and more people living in fuel poverty on an increasingly regular basis.
AN OFFICIAL paving stone commemorating Stratford-upon-Avon’s forgotten war hero for the 100th anniversary of the First World War will be placed in the town, the government has confirmed. Rex Warneford – the first man to single-handedly shoot down a zeppelin - was ignored in the government’s initial plans to recognise Victoria Cross winners because he was born abroad in India. The Herald launched a campaign, together with King Edward VI school, where Rex lived and studied for five years, to get the fighter pilot recognised.
A VAN fire which spread to the roofs of houses on the Birmingham Road in Stratford-upon-Avon on Sunday was started on purpose, it is believed.
Four terraced houses near the traffic lights on the St Peter's Way junction were evacuated around 4am.
Neighbours who were woken up by a “muffled explosion” said emergency services told them a petrol can had been poured over the van before it was set on fire.
This morning, Warwickshire Police confirmed somebody had been arrested in connection with the fire.
When the firefighters arrived on Sunday, flames were already licking up the back wall of the coach house where the Volkswagen van was parked.
The fire spread to the rooftops, and two collapsed before the blaze was put out.
Neighbour Catherine Silvester was worried it was going to spread to her back garden.
“It was quite a horrific night,” she said. “I woke up and saw blue lights everywhere and my husband was missing.”
Her husband Kevin had been woken by the fire and, along with several other neighbours, called the emergency services. The couple’s 7-year-old son Connor hasn’t been able to sleep since.
“It was just quite frightening, it took a long time to put the fire out,” said Catherine.
“What they are speculating is there was petrol poured over the car.”
Firefighters threw rocks through upstairs windows so they could spray the insides with water.
Meanwhile, others attempted to extinguish the fire from above the properties.
Pete Woolley, whose front door was only yards away from the blaze in the cul-de-sac, said the fire was put out around 5am, but emergency services stayed all morning.
“They were just putting out the van fire when I saw a little red glow in the roof,” said the 43-year-old who had to move his car away from the danger.
“All this smoke started billowing out from the rooftop like a boiling kettle and then the roof just collapsed.”
This morning, Warwickshire County Council confirmed that all occupants of the four homes were now staying with family or friends.
According to neighbours, the two houses which suffered the most damage are both rented properties with new tenants who only moved in a few weeks ago.