Pleading not guilty to dangerous driving, Mr Marks claimed his car had suddenly accelerated of its own accord and would not respond to his attempt to apply the foot brake.

The prosecution maintained he had pressed the accelerator by mistake and not the foot brake.

During yesterday’s consideration of its verdict the jury returned to court to ask why Warwickshire Police had initially taken a decision not to prosecute Mr Marks.

But the judge, Recorder Patrick Upward, QC, told the jury members they had to concentrate on the events of 23rd April 2012 rather than “decisions taken thereafter”.

Thirty minutes later the jury returned with its guilty verdict.

Today the deputy chief constable of Warwickshire Police, Neil Brunton, said: “After more than two years of uncertainty for all involved, I am pleased this investigation is now concluded.

“The original decision not to prosecute, taken in November 2012, followed careful consideration of all the available evidence and liaison with the Crown Prosecution Service, who referred the matter back to Warwickshire Police to make the decision.

“However, it subsequently became apparent that some aspects of the defence that had been put forward warranted specific legal guidance and a review of the case was requested which resulted in the decision by CPS to bring a charge of dangerous driving.”

The front page of the Herald front on 29th November 2012 after police said there was insufficient evidence for a prosecution.

The front page of the Herald on 29th November 2012 after police said there was insufficient evidence for a prosecution.

Sentencing Mr Marks Recorder Upward told him that if he decided to drive again he would have to take a driving test.

Mr Marks, who suffers from multiple sclerosis and is permanently in a wheelchair, has not driven since the accident in Stratford on 23rd April 2012 and the court had earlier been told he had no intention of driving again.

The judge said that the accident had been caused by “a tragic error” on Mr Marks’s part.

“There is no suggestion drink was involved – just an unhappy error causing injuries to yourself and to others,” said Recorder Upward.

He told Mr Marks that he bore in mind his excellent record to the community and that he had originally been told by the authorities that he would not be prosecuted.

Mr Marks had claimed during the four-day trial that his car, an automatic VW Touran which he bought new in late 2009 and in which he had driven 25,000 miles, suddenly accelerated of its own accord in Stratford High Street on a Monday afternoon over two years ago and that his attempts to stop it by pressing the footbrake had no effect.

But the prosecution argued that Mr Marks had mistakenly pressed the accelerator and not the foot brake and that it was this action that caused the crash.

The jury took two hours to reach its verdict.

Afterwards Mr Marks’s solicitor told the Herald that his client did not wish to make any comment to the press.

In a statement after the verdict John Bristow, acting sector Crown Prosecutor from the West Midlands Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), said: “The driving of Alan Marks that day was clearly below what would be expected of a competent and careful driver.

“Due to the defendant’s disability, his vehicle had been specially adapted in order for him to use it. However, by his own admission he was not using the adaptation.”

Mr Bristow added: “We hope that this prosecution reminds anyone who has had their cars specially adapted in order for them to use it due to disability to always use the adaptations, as otherwise you are not only putting yourself in danger but other road users too.”