Four years ago Ellis Holtom, of Stratford-upon-Avon, was born with half a working heart. Later, the Herald featured his condition as a tribute to the work of Birmingham Children’s Hospital where he was treated. Now, to mark Congenital Heart Defect Week his mum, Vicki, updates his story. . .
ALL 326 local planning authorities in England, councils like Stratford-on-Avon District, need a local plan. The core strategy is a component of that local plan. It contains all the local district wide policies that need to be considered when processing planning applications. New development needs to satisfy local needs, helping to realise the hopes and ambitions of its communities and protect them from situations they fear. New homes and places to work should provide then with a healthy lifestyle, a pleasant place to live, good recreational facilities and above all the infrastructure that enhances their quality of life. The buzzword to describe this is ‘sustainable’.
THE poor are paying more than they should be for their energy, according to damning new evidence from Stratford-upon-Avon’s Citizens Advice Bureau. Prepayment meters (PPMs) are costing users in fuel poverty a “disproportionate amount” for what little gas and electricity they can afford, the bureau has found. There are around 7.2 million people on prepayment meters in the UK and several thousand in the district of Stratford. Despite Stratford’s reputation as an affluent area, the bureau is being forced to come to the aid of more and more people living in fuel poverty on an increasingly regular basis.
AN OFFICIAL paving stone commemorating Stratford-upon-Avon’s forgotten war hero for the 100th anniversary of the First World War will be placed in the town, the government has confirmed. Rex Warneford – the first man to single-handedly shoot down a zeppelin - was ignored in the government’s initial plans to recognise Victoria Cross winners because he was born abroad in India. The Herald launched a campaign, together with King Edward VI school, where Rex lived and studied for five years, to get the fighter pilot recognised.
TESTS on sunbeds across the Stratford-on-Avon district revealed that a third of salons visited had one or more beds that were emitting UV radiation above the acceptable British Standard.
Warwickshire Trading Standards Service, working with Stratford District Council’s environmental health service, visited six High Street salons in the district and tested the UV emissions of 12 sunbeds.
Sunbeds must not emit UV levels higher than 0.3 W/m² (equivalent to the intensity of the midday sun in the summer in the Mediterranean).
Salons also need to ensure that they are restricting access to sunbeds to anyone aged below 18 years.
In the year 2013 there was a reported eight per cent rise from the previous year in the number of reported incidences of malignant melanoma in Warwickshire.
In 2013 the number of reported incidents rose to 81. Problems were identified with four beds used in two salons.
Two sunbeds were found to be emitting UV radiation over 0.46W/m².
Where sun-beds were found to be non-compliant, salon owners voluntarily undertook to correct the problems.
Tanning sunbeds use ultraviolet lamps to provide a cosmetic tan.
The safe limits stipulated in the British Standard are equivalent to the UV radiation emitted by the midday Mediterranean sun.
Officers testing the sunbeds checked that the fluorescent lamps were not too strong and that only lamps that meet the British Standard were being used.
High levels of UV radiation from equipment can cause injuries and ill health to both staff and customers.
Simon Cripwell from Trading Standards said: “We didn’t feel it would be fair to salon owners to name those businesses where problems had been identified.
“This is because where issues had been found, these were immediately and voluntarily rectified by the salon owner without the need for further enforcement action.
“Further, owners were genuinely shocked that some of their equipment was not operating properly and showed us they wanted to take the correct steps.
“Now salon owners understand that their machines could be operating incorrectly, we want them to come to us if they feel there is a problem and we don’t feel that naming businesses where problems had been identified would encourage this.”