Three operations have put a metal plate in her arm, as well as rods and pins into her neck. She says her head is literally screwed on.

Speaking to the Herald, she thanked passer-by Andy Freke. “If it weren’t for him I wouldn’t be here,” she said, simply.

The Alcester man was out buying petrol when he saw the wreckage.

“He went into dad mode and made sure I stayed still,” said Shelley. “He kept joking around with me and put my belongings in my bag.”

Now the pair are friends, meeting up around once a month.

“I was invited to his 50th birthday party,” boasted Shelley. “I have been adopted as a member of his family, he’s got two young children; I’d like to see them grow up.”

Shelley's car after the crash.

Shelley’s car after the crash.

Getting a second go at life has been a theme for Shelley since the crash.

The Fine Art graduate is going back to university in September to study Occupational Therapy.

“Having physio and occupational therapy myself I have seen the importance,” she said. Her physiotherapists cannot believe the progress she’s made.

“Apparently I’m a bit of a walking miracle, I am still having a lot of appointments at Queen Elizabeth [Hospital in Birmingham]

“They’re amazed. Because I have got metalwork in my neck, they were worried for my sight and speech.

“My left hand; they didn’t think I would be able to hold stuff, carry anything, and OK I’ve dropped a couple of things, but my left hand has come on leaps and bounds.”

At one point, she wanted doctors to amputate it rather than leave it useless.

Shelley in hospital.

Shelley receives treatment in hospital.

Shelley was on her way to work in November when her car skidded on an icy road with leaves.

“I remember thinking I’m on the wrong side of the road and I couldn’t get back onto my side of the road,” she said.

Panicking, she thought: “I’m going to go head on into a bus full of kids. I pictured it like a computer game where the people fly over the car.

“I must’ve passed out because I woke up and everything was green, there was green everywhere, and broken glass.”

After Andy and other passers-by helped, she was treated by a paramedic from the Midlands Air Ambulance.

“She was so kind and didn’t let [me] worry,” said Shelley. “I have since been able to meet Candice (the paramedic) again and I could not thank her enough.”

Meeting Candice, the Midlands Air Ambulance paramedic who helped save her life.

Meeting Candice, the Midlands Air Ambulance paramedic who helped save her life.

This year, Shelley’s hoping to hold a charity event around the 15th November to mark the first anniversary of her crash and also give something back to the air ambulance.

“If it weren’t for the emergency services and the medical staff I would not be giving my life another go,” she said.

And it’s this new lease of life that’s got her a place on a three-year Occupational Therapy Bachelors course at University of the West of England.

“As time goes on there will be more thanks yous,” she said. But for now, she’s looking forward to the future.

This article first appeared in the Herald on Thursday 19th June. For all the latest news in South Warwickshire pick up the paper each week for 60p.