Four years ago Ellis Holtom, of Stratford-upon-Avon, was born with half a working heart. Later, the Herald featured his condition as a tribute to the work of Birmingham Children’s Hospital where he was treated. Now, to mark Congenital Heart Defect Week his mum, Vicki, updates his story. . .
ALL 326 local planning authorities in England, councils like Stratford-on-Avon District, need a local plan. The core strategy is a component of that local plan. It contains all the local district wide policies that need to be considered when processing planning applications. New development needs to satisfy local needs, helping to realise the hopes and ambitions of its communities and protect them from situations they fear. New homes and places to work should provide then with a healthy lifestyle, a pleasant place to live, good recreational facilities and above all the infrastructure that enhances their quality of life. The buzzword to describe this is ‘sustainable’.
THE poor are paying more than they should be for their energy, according to damning new evidence from Stratford-upon-Avon’s Citizens Advice Bureau. Prepayment meters (PPMs) are costing users in fuel poverty a “disproportionate amount” for what little gas and electricity they can afford, the bureau has found. There are around 7.2 million people on prepayment meters in the UK and several thousand in the district of Stratford. Despite Stratford’s reputation as an affluent area, the bureau is being forced to come to the aid of more and more people living in fuel poverty on an increasingly regular basis.
AN OFFICIAL paving stone commemorating Stratford-upon-Avon’s forgotten war hero for the 100th anniversary of the First World War will be placed in the town, the government has confirmed. Rex Warneford – the first man to single-handedly shoot down a zeppelin - was ignored in the government’s initial plans to recognise Victoria Cross winners because he was born abroad in India. The Herald launched a campaign, together with King Edward VI school, where Rex lived and studied for five years, to get the fighter pilot recognised.
A FATHER whose wooden house was saved by Alcester firefighters says it would have burnt down had the crews been forced to come from Stratford-upon-Avon.
Kevin Morel this week heaped praise on the firefighters from Alcester for saving his house in Sambourne Lane, Coughton, on Good Friday after an electrical fault sparked a fire in the roof.
Although the roof was destroyed, the 53-year-old who lives with his children reckons their home for the past 10 years would have been lost forever if the fire engines had further to come.
“They took seven minutes to get to me,” he said. “If they came from Stratford, which I understand is being considered as a possibility, that house would’ve burnt down.”
Last month Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service announced cuts of £2.4 million which include proposals to remove 24-hour coverage in Alcester, leaving the station manned from 10am to 10pm.
It’s been met with concern in the town and surrounding villages, magnified by a couple of high-profile fires outside those times.
Mr Morel, who is a Director of Edward Moons Restaurant in Stratford and a founder of Edward Moons Proper Pies, described the fire as “very distressing”, but he said the firefighters were “brilliant”.
“I thought the fire service did a fantastic job,” he said. “Not only professionally but in terms of their patience, their kindness and their consideration. They saved the house which I really did not believe was savable.”
Crews were forced to stay overnight to control the blaze after Mr Morel called the fire service at 7.10pm.
Everybody was safely out of the house by the time the emergency services arrived, although police had to cordon off the road.
According to neighbour Maureen McTavish, the beautiful wooden building used to belong to Baroness Von Twickel, sister of Sir Robert Throckmorton, 11th Baronet of Coughton Court.
Mr Morel, the current homeowner, said a “substantial amount” of damage had been done although he is still waiting to find out how much.
At the end of last month, a mother whose car suddenly shot up in flames outside her home in Arrow Crescent, Alcester, at 8am said her house would have been lost had the firefighters come from Stratford.